Do you love gazing at the stars? Do you wish to have a deeper insight of the celestial world above us? Then Vedhshala: An Astronomical Observatory located in the heart of Ahmedabad is the place for you! It is infact, the only astronomical observatory open to public in Ahmedabad.
Vedhshala, a permanent Astronomical Observatory and Space Science center of Ahmedabad reopened on 4th of October 2013 marking the beginning of the World Space Week as declared by the United Nations. Hon’ble Education Minister Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasama graced the closing ceremony of the celebration and declared it open to public. The centre offers opportunity to encourage Astronomy as a way to learn math, science, geography, arts, etc through fun and engaging activities. Hundreds of people have already visited the centre purely through word of mouth recommendations.
Vedhshala is decades old institute. With this new beginning, they would like to start Astronomy interpretation to young minds. The center is equipped with 8” SC type telescope, exhibits showing details about solar system objects and night sky from nearly anywhere from Gujarat, a place where students can click picture with astronauts, jigsaw puzzles of solar system and above all, space related movies in English as well Gujarati languages.
Since it’s a one-of-a-kind place in Ahmedabad, they feel one and all should benefit of having fun while expanding horizons. Thus they have four options through which you can enjoy this astronomy and space science centre:
- Students through schools and colleges can visit this place between 10 am and 12 pm with prior notice and permission. A nominal donation of Rs.20/- (Rupees Twenty only) per student is to paid. Students will be entitled to enjoy all above facilities. Up to 100 students can be accommodated at a time.
- Authorised representative from Vedhshala can also visit your school in the evening with telescope to show the night sky for nearly 100 students. For this, the donation amount is Rs. 3,500/-
- They are also starting an Olympiad center at Vedhshala for Astronomy, Physics & Mathematics very soon!
- Lastly, it is open to any child or adult who would like to visit it any day. (At present, they are open every alternate day, which should become everyday real soon!)
Vedhshala: An Astronomical Observatory Details
Days: Tuesday – Thursday – Saturday
Timings: 6 pm to 8 pm every
6:30 pm : Movie on Astronomy & Space Science in GUJARATI
7:30 pm :Movie on Astronomy & Space Science in ENGLISH
Sunday: 10 am to 12 pm & 6 pm to 8 pm
10:30 am &6:30 pm : Movie on Astronomy & Space Science in GUJARATI
11:30 am &7:30 pm : Movie on Astronomy & Space Science in ENGLISH
School Children : Rs. 20/- per head
General : Rs. 30/- per head
Connect with Vedhshala:
- Contact to enroll for Astronomy & Space Science club every Wednesday from 8:30 pm to 10 pm
- Contact for weekend Model Rocketry
- Contact for school visits from 10 am to 12 pm on week days
Contact Person at Vedhshala:
Tanmaye Vyas: 99798 61071 / 93270 19254
B/s. Karuna Trust, Nr. Naranpura Rail Crossing, Naranpura, Ahmedabad
Vedhshala Facebook Page:
The Ahmedabad Blog encourages all Amdavadis to visit this place atleast once. We really hope more Amdavadis take interest in the matter and join the movement of spreading awareness about the oldest science of astronomy!
The Ahmedabad Blog is thankful to Tanmaye Vyas, Education Coordinator at Vedhshala and Shaina Shah for sharing this wonderful treasure with us!