If we look at Ahmedabad as an Education Hub, Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA) finds a spot among other prestigious institutions in the city. Established in 1991, MICA is India’s premier Communications Management Institute and among the few residential academic institutions that are dedicated to meeting the needs of the integrated marketing communications industry. Situated on the outskirts of Ahmedabad, the MICA campus is an absolute delight for students that seek an atmosphere which nurtures creativity and allows freedom. The present campus spread over 19 acres, is best described by its red bricks, ample open spaces, amazing greenery, modern amenities, hi tech infrastructure and classic landscaping.
Academic Courses at MICA:
Communication is at the heart of MICA’s academic programmes.
- Fellow Programme In Management – Communications (FPM-C): 3-year full time residential doctoral programme in communication discipline
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Communications) – PGDM (C): 2-year Full time Residential MBA Programme with specializations in 2nd Year in Brand Management, Media Management, Advertising Management and Marketing Research.
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Crafting Creative Communications (CCC): Six-Month Certificate Residential programme; a creative course for aspiring art directors, copywriters and television commercial makers.
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Retail Management – Online: One year inclusive of Campus visit and 4 days Retail Yatra at 4 metro & 4 non metro locations
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Advertising Management and Public Relations – Online: One-year Online course with special campus visit for junior and middle level executives interested in field of advertising and public relations.
- Post Graduate Certificate Programme in Research and Data Analytics – Online: One year online course for participants to foster objective data analysis strategies, apply critical thinking skills to data analysis, generate and validate solutions to a problem and communicate findings concisely.
Admission Process at MICA:
MICA Admissions Test (MICAT) is the mandatory entrance exam of MICA (apart from conforming to eligibility criteria of having appeared in one of the AICTE mandated examinations viz CAT/XAT/GMAT). MICAT is a validated multi-dimensional examination which assesses a candidate in areas which are relevant and crucial for a career in Communications Management such as
- Creativity potential
- Written communication skills
- General awareness about contemporary social and industry issues including areas around media, marketing, advertising and business.
MICAT also includes psychometric profiling to assess the fit between the candidate and a career in the communications management domain. Based on MICAT scores, the candidates are further shortlisted and invited for the final round of selection – Group Exercise (GE) and Personal Interviews (PI). GE offers a platform to assess a candidate’s personality, clarity in thought and ability to work in a team. PI helps understand a candidate’s knowledge, determination, maturity and fit in the culture of MICA and the industries it caters to.
Academic Wing: With eight seminar halls, fully equipped with audiovisual capabilities every aspect of this diverse and vibrant community has been designed to help students develop their creative and management skills. The Media Labs at MICA ensure that students have access to media softwares allowing for advancing learning and development of skills specific to the areas of design, media planning and marketing.
Library: Inaugurated in 1993, MICA’s Knowledge and Exchange Information Centre is an exclusive library for Advertising, Media, Marketing and Communications domains. It extends total information support to marketers, ad agencies, media houses, management institutes and researchers. The range of databases covered are books, newspapers, dissertations, television commercials, non-book materials, case studies, print ads and periodicals. Well equipped with all the multimedia facilities, the entire library is connected to the campus wireless network.
Community Radio Station: The campus also hosts a Community Radio station (MICA VAANI) consisting of a Recording & Broadcasting Studio, the 9 screen Media Analytics lab (AMAP), 18 seater Video Conferencing room and an online studio with the most contemporary multimedia facilities make MICA an ideal technical setting to gain live experience on the latest trends in the field of Media, Marketing, Advertising and Communications.
Auditorium: The auditorium has a seating capacity of 250+ and houses the orientation, seminars and other major events such as the panel discussions, launches, farewell etc. This is the place students spend their nights working for the variety of events at MICA.
Student Activities at MICA:
MICANVAS – Annual Brand Management Festival: MICANVAS is a platform which brings together eminent professionals from the industry and the best brains from the top B-schools across the world. MICANVAS aims to challenge stereotypes about consumer mind space and redefine newer ones. Simply put, 3 days where no one sleeps on the MICA campus, as it comes alive with B-school junta from around the world, experiencing near-perfect blend of formal & informal events! MICANVAS boasts of a potpourri of events with emphasis on creativity, design, out-of-the-box thinking, designing and management acumen. Apart from the regular events like the Business Plan Competition, Case Study competition, Communication plan etc MICANVAS is also known for organizing offbeat and different competitions like Last Manager Standing, Metrotopia, Treasure Hunt and Slide Rules.
Sankalp – Theatre Society at MICA: Sankalp, MICA’s theatre society is an attempt at acknowledging the importance of theatre as an effective medium of communication and entertainment. By encouraging theatre enthusiasts to explore a variety of ideas that are socially poignant, students are taught the art of rural communication, semiotics and event management.
MICA Lecture Series – MLS: MICA Lecture Series (MLS) is a committee that acts as a major touch point of MICA with industry professionals and eminent personalities from diverse fields. Through MLS, industry professional and corporate leaders get an opportunity to interact with the students of MICA, understand their perspective and assess the depth of their knowledge and interests.
MICAMINDS: MICAMINDS is a student run research and consultancy cell of MICA. It seeks to provide students with hands-on learning experiences through live projects, simultaneously giving our clients the chance to experience the paramount quality of work that the MICA student body has to offer.
LitComm: LitComm provides a haven to those with a penchant for the written word. What makes it unique is the love for literature is integrated with basic business knowledge to give students exposure to concepts about the book marketing and the publishing industry at large.
Sports Committee at MICA (SCAM): Sports does not build character, it reveals it. SCAM is all about keeping the sporting culture alive and kicking on campus. SCAM is instrumental in inculcating healthy competition through both intra and inter-collegiate tournaments.
Latest posts by TAB Team (see all)
- “A Kebab Affair” at Bayleaf, Courtyard by Marriott Ahmedabad - September 6, 2016
- Tanmay Shah wins 3 record titles for 52 Films Project - August 3, 2016
- Momo Café gifts specialty Italian cuisine to Ahmedabad - July 25, 2016