There are 2 steps to preparing for Uttarayan. Step 1 is to buy the kites and tie kinyas. Step 2 is to decide and prepare the menu for the next day. Gorging on gorgeous food is always as important as the kites, tukkals, phirkis and air balloons.
- Undhiyu – Puri: All new year resolutions of reducing weight go for a toss on this day as foodies dive into the delicious goodness of matla undhiyu and puri. Preparing undhiyu at home with so many ingredients may be difficult but that will not stop an Amdavadi! A true Amdavadi will stand in long queues just to pick up the best undhiyu in town!
- Jalebi: Undhiyu – puri is incomplete without the sweetness of jalebi! The combination of their taste is perfect for the taste buds and a Gujarati meal is complete only with the inclusion of something sweet!
- Chiki and tal papdi: Chikkis and tal papdis are the staple snack during this festival. They come in various varieties and different shapes and each mother has a different recipe that she follows. If you are living alone, then just walk down your local market, we bet you will find a string of shops selling them during this festival!
- Sherdi, bor, shingoda and jamfal: They say we all should 4 servings of fruit a day and on Uttarayan we all have sherdi, bor, shingoda and jamfal. These fruits are perfect finger food that keeps everyone busy throughout the day!
- Khichdo: Both sweet and savory khichdo is prepared and served on this day. Khichdo is a unique Gujarati preparation, which is heavy to digest and ideal for the winter months. Moreover, it provides the body with a lot of energy which will help you get through the busy day on the terrace!
Now you know what we love for Uttarayan. Now tell us, what food makes it to your terrace every year?